Digital Fabrication

 This term one of my two lab classes was "digital fabrication". We used the entire term figuring out how these newer technological wonders work. 3D printers, laser cutters, vinyl cutters, CNC routers, and even some power tools, we learned them all. 

We started the term still at home and worked with the software for the devices, starting with Tinker CAD for 3D printers. My first design was of a "master ball" from the game and anime series "Pokémon". After that we looked at a program called Cura that will "sliced" the digital design and sends the information to printer. We tried several times to get a 3D model from pictures and came out with a good one for a Lego but nothing else. Next was silhouette, the program for vinyl cutting. We could upload pictures online and have it identify the image to render; or you could create an image with the pre-saved images. All of the programs worked by rendering something online and then sending to the machine to print and thus our AP was upon us. We were asked to create something "ambitious" with the machines we had access to. I decided on creating an item from a game I currently play quite a bit: Valorant. The item is called the "Trademark" and is an ability item from the character Chamber. Below it an image of the in-game item and the one I 3D printed.

 
"3D Print Trademark" CDH, 2022
"Trademark Chamber Trap" Valorant, 2021-22

Overall I really enjoyed the class and plan on creating many more things in the future as I went out to buy a 3D printer during the class to continue printing on my own time. I highly recommend getting to it and hope you have a good day, night, or whatever time your reading this.

-CDH


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tools: Upgraded

Light Work

Second Final Presentation!