Second Final Presentation!

As spring break approaches, so does final presentations for this term. With “guiding questions”
(or GQs) as the theme, all students were asked to form their own guiding question relating to a class, unit, or project they have worked on this term. I chose “How can questions change the world?” as my guiding question, relating to the first unit of my class Forbidden Books. In this unit we studied Socrates and the Socratic Method, that is what my question is based on.



To get into this project first, I think an introduction to the Socratic Method is in order. In the BC era, during the life of/created by the Athenian philosopher Socrates, was the Socratic Method. The basic definition is that it is a "method of inquiry and instruction" but to describe it, I would say its a way of asking questions to find your true meaning. That may sound complicated but its really just a positive way of questioning a person’s beliefs and/or morals; When you ask the how and whys of a person, you are using the Socratic Method. When it was first developed by Socrates, and youths really thought about their religious beliefs, it was miscredited with "corrupting the youth", clouding their judgment when in reality they were gaining clarity. When Socrates used the method in court to defend himself from these allegations, he argued his point fairly but was unjustly executed.
Nowadays we unknowingly use this method in daily life, a child learning about the world, an argument among friends, or in a court of law the same as Socrates himself.

Currently, I have another blog post demonstrating this method in everyday life: An example. You can check out my blog and my partners blogs whenever you would like but for now I'll give you our Socratic Dialogue about school.

  To tie this all back to my GQ, I want to first say, the greatest knowledge in the world and the most insignificant detail can only be found by asking questions. Now I want to ask, will your next question be enough to change your life to the point of changing the world, or will it be something as simple as asking the time? Will the answer you get make you keep asking to find out what you really want to know? And lastly, do you know the kind of question you need to ask now? We all have things we want and need to know, but first ask yourself why you need to know that.

Comments

  1. I like your poster thing on Socrates. I think it's really straight forward

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Endure The Colors

War Is The Mental State Of The World

Where I'm From